Spring 2018 FAST Closing Showcase Celebrates Six Companies
CLSI celebrated key milestones at the Spring 2018 FAST Closing Showcase at UCSF’s Byers Auditorium on June 12, 2018. The Showcase marked the culmination of the Spring program and included presentations from six graduating FAST companies:
- Abalone Bio, developing functional antibody therapeutics that modulate membrane protein targets using its proprietary Functional Antibody Selection Technology (FAST) platform;
- Atropos Therapeutics, developing a proprietary technology based on recent laboratory advancements in the molecular understanding of the senescence transition, a permanent growth arrest after quiescence that has been associated with aging;
- Light Technologies, developing an ultra-precision retinal eye-tracking device to empower doctors to detect neurodeficits;
- Melio, which is enabling rapid and universal pathogen profiling directly from sample by combining advanced molecular chemistry with machine learning to accurately detect pathogen in blood within 3 hours instead of days to expeditiously inform the choice of antimicrobial drug treatment in newborns;
- SmarterABX, developing an Antibiotic Stewardship Program software for hospitals by providing point-n-click reports and dashboards, adaptive prescribing guidance at order-time, and Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning-based analytics to de-risk infection management in a way never before possible; and
- Valley Fever Solutions, developing a new therapeutic, Nikkomycin-Z, to treat Valley Fever.
The program also included a retrospective from a graduate of the first FAST Fall 2013 cohort, Brian Feth, CEO of XCell Biosciences, who discussed how the FAST program helped further his company’s success. Feth stated: “The FAST program helped us through some basic questions about our company’s model, such as, ‘Are we a service company or a product company’?…. I’m really happy with the way it played out”.
FALL 2018 FAST Applications Open