AMGEN BAY AREA BIOGENEIUS CHALLENGE
The California Life Sciences Institute’s (CLSI’s) 2016 Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge is open for submission! The 2016 Challenge will take place on April 14 at Amgen South San Francisco. Please click here to apply for and learn everything you need to know about applying for the BioGENEius Challenge.
Students in grades 9-12 may enter their life science/biotech related regional fair projects as long as they meet the criteria listed on the National competition web site. Applicants do not need to enter a previous fair to qualify for the Bay Area Challenge, however, we encourage students to submit projects from other ISEF regional science fairs (see below).
***ENTRANTS in the Local Challenge must be available to compete in the International BioGENEius Challenge at the BIO International Convention in San Francisco, CA (June 5-8, 2016) if you place***
THE BAY AREA BIOGENEIUS CHALLENGE
When: April 14, 2016 (Thursday)
Where: Amgen, Inc., 1120 Veterans Blvd., South San Francisco, CA
Applications: January 18, 2016 – extended to March 18, 2016
- Awards ceremony
- Keynote: Aarif Khakoo, VP Research Cardiometabolic Disorder, Amgen SF Site Head
- Moderated Career Panel: Carol Pawlak, Corporate Affairs, Amgen
- Mercedesz Balazs, MD, PhD, Principal Scientist, Discovery Toxicology/CBSS, Immunobiology and Clinical Pathology, Amgen
- Seema Kantak, MS, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, Symic Biomedical
- Sunil Maulik, VP Marketing, People Power Co.
- Lucia Mokres, DVM, Chief Medical Officer of EpiBiome
- Lunch Roundtables with Amgen Scientists
1. Abe Guerrero, Senior Scientist, Preclinical
2. Shilpa Sambashivan, Senior Scientist, Research, Genome Analysis Unit
3. Karen Fitzgerald, Associate Scientist, Oncology Research
4. Sally Shi, Post Doc Fellow, Research, Cardiometabolic Disorders
5. Aarif Khakoo, VP Research Cardiometabolic Disorders and ASF Site Head
Local Challenge Awards:
- First place: $2,000
- Second place $1,000
- Third place $500
- Three Honorable Mentions
The First place winner of the Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge (and their chaperones) will receive an all-expenses paid trip to compete against other regional winners at the International BioGENEius Challenges (see below).
U.S. INTERNational BioGENEius Challenge
When: June 5-8, 2016
Where: BIO International Convention, San Francisco, CA
International Challenge Awards:
- First place: $7,500
- Second place $5,000
- Third place $2,500
- Fourth place $1,000
- Honorable Mention Award $500
- Students must be enrolled in biology or science-related courses (Grade 9 to 12) in any public or private school within the United States.
- Individual Students only may submit ONE project for this competition.
- Research presented in 2016 must be NEW research. Projects may be continued research from previous years. Any project conducted in a similar area of research as previous projects should be considered a continuation. If the project is a continuation, explain as completely as possible how the project will differ from previous experimentation because ONLY a new and different research project is allowed. The current year project must demonstrate significant progress. Explain when the actual experimental procedure (not the background literature review) will begin and end because ONLY a 12-month project that occurred within the last 18 months before this year’s International BioGENEius Challenge is allowed.
- For more information regarding the Judging Criteria click here. For more information regarding Rules and Guidelines click here.
BIOGENEIUS POSTERS AND APPLICATIONS
You must precisely follow the poster guidelines, which can be found here.
To complete an online application for the Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge, please click here and select “California (Bay Area).” Submissions must be completed by March 11, 2016. We encourage you to submit your applications sooner, if possible.
REGIONAL ISEF COMPETITIONS
We encourage Bay Area Challenge candidates to also enter one of the following fairs:
- Alameda County Science & Engineering Fair: March 11-13, 2016. Click here for information and application.
- The Intel-Affiliated Contra Costa County Science & Engineering Fair: March 17-19, 2016. Click here for information and application
- Monterey County Science & Engineering Fair: March 4-6, 2016. Click here for information and application.
- Synopsys Sacramento Regional STEM : Click here for dates, information and application.
- San Francisco Bay Area Science Fair: March 16-17, 2016. Click here for information and application.
- Santa Cruz County Science & Engineering Fair: March 12, 2016. Click here for information and application.
- Synopsys Silicon Valley Science & Technology Championship: March 16-17, 2016. Click here for information and application.
- Synopsys Sonoma County Science Fair, March 4, 2016. Click here for information and application.
Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge Contact:
Leah Jordan, BioGENEius Program Coordinator, California Life Sciences Institute, email@example.com, (650) 871-3251.
International BioGENEius Challenge Contact:
Bianca Mack, Biotechnology Institute, firstname.lastname@example.org or (202)-312-9292