AMGEN BAY AREA BIOGENEIUS CHALLENGE
The California Life Sciences Institute’s (CLSI’s) 2018 Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge is open for submission! The 2018 Challenge will take place on April 26, 2018 at Amgen South San Francisco. Please click here to apply for and learn everything you need to know about applying for the BioGENEius Challenge.
Students in grades 9-12 may enter their life science/biotech related regional fair projects as long as they meet the criteria listed on the National competition web site. Applicants do not need to enter a previous fair to qualify for the Bay Area Challenge, however, we encourage students to submit projects from other ISEF regional science fairs (see below).
***ENTRANTS in the Local Challenge must be available to compete in the International BioGENEius Challenge at the BIO International Convention in Boston, MA (June 4-7, 2018) if you place***
THE BAY AREA BIOGENEIUS CHALLENGE
When: April 26, 2018
Where: Amgen, Inc., 1120 Veterans Blvd., South San Francisco, CA
Applications: Deadline for submissions EXTENDED to March 22, 2018
- Student poster viewing by Amgen scientists
- Awards ceremony
- Honorable mention prizes
Local Challenge Awards:
- First place: $2,000
- Second place $1,000
- Third place $500
The First place winner of the Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge (and their chaperones) will receive an all-expenses paid trip to compete against other regional winners at the International BioGENEius Challenges (see below).
U.S. iNTERNational BioGENEius Challenge
When: June 4-7, 2018
Where: BIO International Convention, Boston, MA
International Challenge Awards:
- First place: $7,500
- Students must be enrolled in biology or science-related courses (Grade 9 to 12) in any public or private school within the United States.
- Individual Students only may submit ONE project for this competition.
- Research presented in 2018 must be NEW research. Projects may be continued research from previous years. Any project conducted in a similar area of research as previous projects should be considered a continuation. If the project is a continuation, explain as completely as possible how the project will differ from previous experimentation because ONLY a new and different research project is allowed. The current year project must demonstrate significant progress. Explain when the actual experimental procedure (not the background literature review) will begin and end because ONLY a 12-month project that occurred within the last 18 months before this year’s International BioGENEius Challenge is allowed.
- For more information regarding the Judging Criteria click here. For more information regarding Rules and Guidelines click here.
BIOGENEIUS POSTERS AND APPLICATIONS
You must precisely follow the poster guidelines, which can be found here.
To complete an online application for the Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge, please click here and select “California (Bay Area).” Submissions must be completed by March 15, 2018. We encourage you to submit your applications sooner, if possible.
REGIONAL ISEF COMPETITIONS
We encourage Bay Area Challenge candidates to also enter one of the following fairs:
Alameda County Science & Engineering Fair: March 16-17, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Contra Costa County Science & Engineering Fair: March 15-17, 2018 Click here for information and application
Monterey County Science & Engineering Fair: March 16-18, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Sacramento Regional STEM Fair: March 10, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Golden Gate STEM Fair: March 19-23, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Santa Cruz County Science & Engineering Fair: March 9-10, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Santa Clara Valley Science & Engineering Fair: March 14-15, 2018 Click here for information and application.
Sonoma County Science Fair: CANCELLED for 2017 Click here for information.
Amgen Bay Area BioGENEius Challenge Contact:
Amy Xu, BioGENEius Contact, California Life Sciences Institute, firstname.lastname@example.org, (650) 871-3254.
International BioGENEius Challenges Contact:
Quinta Jackson, Biotechnology Institute, email@example.com